Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Scotcheroos

After a discussion on Wednesday night about one of my favorite desserts (Scotcheroos), I decided I wanted to make some today. So, when I was at the grocery store, I picked up a big jar of peanut butter, and some Rice Krispies. I was SURE that the recipe called for 1 cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of p.b., and 6 cups Rice Krispies. So, when I got home, I pulled out my recipe, which called for 1 cup of Karo syrup, not one cup of butter.

However, since I was SURE that I had made the Scotcheroos with 1 cup of butter, I decided, "Heck, I must have just changed up the recipe." And I commenced the operation.

I put everything in the pan and turned on the burner. I left my favorite yellow Tupperware spatula in the pan and ran downstairs for a minute to look for another recipe.

Apparently, I was gone longer than I thought.

When I returned upstairs, I found that my favorite yellow Tupperware spatula was melted to the bottom of the pan. Needless to say, 1 cup of butter, 1 cup of peanut butter, and 1 cup of sugar went in the garbage can. (A big thank you to Chris for taking care of the mess for me, and for offering to run to the grocery store for more ingredients.)

So, since I was intent upon having these Scotcheroos, I decided to try batch numero dos. 1 cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of p.b. Melt. Boil. Stir in 6 cups Rice Krispies. Transfer to pan. Hmm....these don't seem to be sticky in the least. Drat.

Apparently, I had NOT, in fact, made the Scotcheroos with 1 cup of butter previously.
New problem: no Karo syrup in the house.


Still bent on having these tasty treats upon which to munch, I took Chris up on his offer to run to the grocery store and get the Karo syrup. Thank you, dearie.

I guess the third time really is a charm.

Total items in garbage:
1 pound butter.
2 cups sugar.
2 cups peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies.

Total items in my tummy:
1 small Scotcheroo, sans chocolate topping.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kiersten H. said...

Well...that explains why mine aren't holding together in the least...Oh well. Christopher still adores them

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post, lol!! I have done that in other instances when trying to create something. Thanks for sharing, and what a nice hubby you have. =)

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home