Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Baby, baby, baby

I received some interesting news yesterday. We had to have an ultrasound to check the size of our baby, because I've been measuring quite big lately. Well, I was fairly worked up about the possibility of my doctor wanting to induce me, due to a big baby, but now I have something completely different to be worked up about: dear little baby is breech. Ugh.

I seriously never even considered that this could happen. Everything with my first pregnancy was so normal that I figured this would be, too. So, we have a new task upon our hands: turn this baby...and soon!

Our doula came with us to the ultrasound, and boy was I glad. The only thing I could think was, "I'm going to have to have a c-section, and we've just spent hundreds of dollars on the Bradley Birthing class and the doula, in order for me to have an unmedicated birth." Granted, I feel SO much more educated and empowered about pregnancy and birth that it's still worth it, even if I end up with a c-section, it's just a bummer.

So our doula immediately suggested I get in to see a chiropractor who does the Webster Technique - something used to help breech babies to flip. It's quite successful, from what I'm learning. By helping the uterine ligaments to relax, many times the baby will have just enough extra room to make the flip, as an irritated, tight ligament can hold a baby in place and not allow it to move. I definitely had an irritated ligament yesterday.

I will also see an acupuncturist on Monday, and everyday next week, in addition to the chiropractor, until something happens, or until we know that it's not going to happen. I have my 37 week prenatal appt on Monday and will also discuss an external version, where the doctor tries to manually turn the baby, which I've heard can be pretty intense. It honestly freaks me out, but I need to learn more before I make a decision.

I have been trying to strategically position myself at home as well: kneeling on the couch, and lowering myself down until my head is as close to the floor as I can get it. Not comfy, and my arms are pretty wimpy, so I don't last long, but I'm going to keep doing it.

It's been a roller coaster of emotions regarding this whole ordeal. First I had to deal with the thought of being induced due to a big baby, but now the thought of a c-section makes induction seem like a day at the park. I shed a few tears last night, crying out to God that I don't want a c-section. This morning I broke down again, as I tend to be more pessimistic than optimistic. Chris was there to help me see there's no known reason why this baby won't flip, as we caught the issue just in time.

I don't want to have major abdominal surgery. I've heard some people say it's great, cause you don't have to go through labor, but I've heard more people say it's not great, which is what I'm inclined to believe.

I'm trying to do some self-examination re: what is it that God wants me to learn or change that he's allowing this to happen? Is there some reason behind this baby being breech?

I've asked the elders to pray over me tomorrow morning at church, and will ask at Spirit Soak tomorrow night. With God all things are possible. I KNOW he understands my heart on this issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home