Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It's 2007...Amazing...

I started this post several days ago when my weekend with my in-laws was still fresh in my mind. I had included a bit of the drama that had taken place over New Year's weekend, and how I hope that when I'm an in-law with adult children that I am a good one. Now, that I've had some time apart from the situation, it's really laughable, but at the time, it was ridiculous. I'll spare you the gory details.

And, despite the craziness of Sunday night, the ball dropped, and it's 2007. We all survived and life is moving on. And the worst part? I turn 30 this year. Unbelievable.

I've come to some conclusions concerning some of the thoughts I've been sharing on my blog here. I've talked a lot about work and jobs and how I've been disappointed with that entire area of my life since graduating from grad school. It's been confusing and frustrating, not being able to find what I had expected after finishing my Master's degree. But I've learned a lot about myself.

I've learned that I've had an easy life. Everything has come easy to me, and while yes, I've had to put in the hours, the hours have't been difficult. In anything. School was easy, college was easy, grad school was easy. Okay, maybe it all wasn't EASY, but it certainly wasn't daunting or difficult. No, I'm not a straight A student, but I could maintain a good 3.333 with minimal effort. When I was in junior high and high school being a really good musician was very easy. I enjoyed the work, and I believe that I enjoyed it because it was rewarding. There were always contests to win and medals to get and honor festivals to attend. I went to them all. I had a full tuition scholarship to college because of it.

Then something happened. I began to see that I had to WORK for what I wanted, and for some reason, that work freaked me out. It wasn't enjoyable. There were other things I'd rather be doing, and what had once come so easily, wasn't so anymore. So, I quit.

And, in a nutshell, life has been on this repeating pattern of trying different things, looking for something rewarding and fulfilling, yet not too difficult, and it's left me with my hands in the air, wondering what happened to my determination of earlier years, and also wondering why I'm not sitting in the New York Philharmonic with my French horn!!!!

So, it's time to make some changes. I have to learn that being uncomfortable doesn't mean I'm going to die, and doesn't mean that I have to run. I have to learn that perseverence is what we're called to, especially as Christians. I have to learn that running doesn't solve anything, and certainly isn't something I want my children to learn to do.

So, 2007 is going to be a prosperous year, hopefully in more ways than one. I'm looking forward to growth and movement and change. Even though I'm going to be 30.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kiersten H. said...

30's a pretty good number, if I do say so myself.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home