Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

DISCOVERY

Well, I finally did it. I discovered the root of my ailments. Sugar.

My digestive tract has been giving me problems since the fall of 2001. At the time I thought it was stress of life and full time work and full time grad school. Two years later, in August of 2003, I was undergoing an endoscopy and was told officially that I have acid reflux. A year later, they tell me I also have gastroparesis, which means my stomach doesn't empty properly. Around the same time, they give me some breathalizer tests and find out that I have what's called "fructose malabsorption." Well, all they did was hand me a list of foods I "shouldn't" eat and said that if I did eat them, it "could" cause me some "discomfort."

DISCOMFORT?!?!

Does the feeling of knives slicing your midsection through sound like discomfort to you!?!? (I'll give them, discomfort...with a brick.)

Anyway, each day my stomach gets worse and worse and worse, and finally I went back to the doctor's website and reminded myself of the foods I'm not supposed to be eating, and as I looked at that list, I could remember the things I'd eaten recently that were on the list that cause me great "DISCOMFORT!!!"

Fruit
Fruit Juices
Sweetened milk
Honey (?!)
Maple Syrup (?!)
Corn Syrup
TABLE SUGAR!?!?!?!?
Confectioner's Sugar (powdered sugar)

It's amazing to think that many of the foods I've always enjoyed so much were actually making me miserable. What actually happens is that the small intestine cannot break down sugars into smaller molecular fregmants for digestion. The sugars progress down into the colon where bacteria break it down into short chair fatty acids and the gases carbon dioxide and hydrogen. You can imagine for yourself what happens after that.... (TMI?!!?!?) Going on, though, fructose malabsorption is not only associated with gastro-intestinal distress but also the inability to absorb all kinds of nutrients which can lead to serious diseases likke anaemia and osteoporosis. (www.foodintol.com/sugar.asp). Sheer craziness. Guess I won't be eating sugar anymore...

Anyway, all I can say is this:

For whatever it's worth, I'm going to be very skinny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home