Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Life as a Marriage Counselor

So this is what I deal at least once a week; people call an hour and a half before their scheduled appointment and tell me they need to reschedule because they have a different appointment they cannot miss. I wonder if other places ever get calls from their clients cancelling because their appointment with their counselor is too important to miss. People do not understand that this is a person's livelihood-income-meat and potatoes-bread-APARTMENT RENT!!!!!
I've been in counseling before, and I always enjoyed it so much that I never missed a meeting! Guess that's why I'm a counselor now, I suppose...

People are fickle. And sometimes they're not - maybe they have an emergency doctor's appointment. I can understand that, to an extent. If they were hemmorhaging, or unconscious, or happened to take a bullet to the chest. Yes, those are very viable excuses. But the thing that occurs to me is that (since most people I work with are coming for marriage counseling) they're coming to me because the threat of divorce is immenent, or because there's been an affair, and, maybe I'm crazy, but I take that as seriously as a brain injury. It's just as life altering! And believe me: I've been divorced!

Maybe this is my next project! Maybe I'll campaign for the importance of counseling. I remember my supervisor during my internship considered himself on the same level as a doctor, and honestly, I think that's a pretty good idea.

So, missed appointments afford me the luxury of complaining on my blog, I guess. This can be my mini soap box! The world needs to know how important their marriage counselors are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home