Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

What life is about...

This past week has been a good one. Sunday I planted some flowers in pots for my balcony, and they're doing beautifully. Monday Hubby and I ran around together enjoyed the nice day. And Tuesday, I met up with the Killer of Life.

Killer of Life? you're saying. Yes. Do you know what it is? Selfishness. It's why people get divorced - I'd venture to say the ONLY reason why people get divorced. It's why affairs happen. It's why kids are neglected and have to be removed from the home. It's why churches struggle financially - an old pastor of mine once said to us that the United States could erase all poverty if Christians tithed faithfully. I don't doubt it. It's why Americans are so far in debt. Need I say more?

I've been thinking a lot about the Greatest Commandment: "Jesus replied, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. and the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Mt.22:37-40)

One summer when I was counseling senior high camp, my pastor, who was the dean that week, had one rule for the campers: Love your neighbor as yourself. That's the only rule we needed - everything that could happen fell underneath that umbrella. And ultimately, it takes care of all selfishness.

What would our marriages be like if we lived by those two commandments? I can only imagine. I know that I wouldn't have a job - that's for sure!

As I've been working with my clients and gaining more and more understanding of what makes or breaks a marriage, I seem to come back to those verses in Matthew. Do they change your life? I hope so. Do they improve your marriage? I know so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home