Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Restless

This weekend was filled with relaxation and eating. And eating. And more eating.

Saturday my poor husband had to work all the way out in his hometown, and was an hour late getting home to his own birthday party!! ARGH! I hate the company he works for! I want them to die! Or at least that their armpit hairs would be infested with the fleas of a thousand camels.

But, the party was fun, and we had yummy brats on even yummier buns, accompanied by delicious tomato/basil/mozzarella salad that I could have eaten forever, and grilled corn on the cob. I declared near the end of my meal, "I'm full, but I'm just going to keep eating because it's so good..." Everyone agreed.

Then on Sunday we went to church, which was great - the people at Calvary Baptist church are awesome. They actually aren't afraid to come up and TALK to new people! It's amazing. We were invited to the young marrieds group. It was really wonderful - and the pastor has great sermons, which is a huge plus. The music is okay - it's not great, but it's not horrible either. The funniest part is that there's a guy named Roy (which is a name I have always thought hilarious, regardless of the thing he does) who feels the need to direct with his hand while we're singing! I just find this humorous, because I really don't think his directing has ANY impact on the tempo of the music...

So, I'm feeling restless. I think I'm getting caught up in not wanting to get caught up in the struggle for material goods and success in the world's eyes. Money is scarce in our world right now, we need another vehicle, we'd like a house, car insurance is due in August. Blah! It's so easy to get caught up in the WANTS!! Granted, car insurance and needing another vehicle aren't necessarily wants, but the house part is. Anyway, I have decided it's time for me to get a part time job. As much as I love working a few hours a week (and trust me, it's the best thing in the whole wide world - if you can stay home, or work very part time, I highly recommend it. It's absolutely wonderful) we really do need to have at least a little more money coming in, AND, since I don't have a baby or anything else to take care of at the present moment that would necessitate me staying home, it's really the best thing for me to work a little more. So, I think I'm going to work for Home Instead Senior Care, a company that provides the elderly a companion to shop, cook, hang out with, when they need it! I think it's awesome. The longer someone can live independently, the better, the way I see it. Nursing homes suck, and I pray to God I never have to put my own parents in one.

Anyway, I love elderly people, and I love to shop and cook and talk, so I think this would be a great "job" for me. I just hope it pays more than $5.15 per hour! But even if it doesn't, I think it would still be worth while. I contemplated the Starbucks gig again, but when I went to the store this morning, to look for the manager, I was surrounded by a bunch of college aged girls who had made a mess of the store, and who really weren't doing much of anything during the 20 minutes I was there. Now, there's two ways to look at this - I like college kids and I think I could have a great influence on them. On the other hand, this could all get really, really annoying! The really attractive part of working at Starbucks is the benefits - you can work 20 hours a week and have full benefits! This is especially attractive to the trying-to-get-pregnant person that I am. We'll see.

I'm also thinking and praying about starting a recovery ministry at my new church. I heard about it thru my friend, Jen, who lives in Seattle. She went thru the program a year or two ago and said it was life changing and wonderful. It's called Celebrate Recovery. It originated at Saddleback Church in California (Rick Warren's church). Anyway, I spoke with my pastor last week, and he already had the materials. So I picked them up from him on Sunday, and started looking them over. It looks like a great program. Just not sure if it's the best move for me to make. But, the community could really use it. Harumph.

I just heard a quote by Tony Evans: "Don't go outside of God to solve your problems." That's great advice. Easier said than done, I think!

We went to Monster House yesterday cause Chris wanted to see a movie on his birthday. The movie was actually pretty cute. One of the better cartoons I've seen. I thought it was a little scary for little kids, though, because this house seriously comes live and eats people and looks vicious! My favorite line was, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU, KID?!?!" "It's puberty, I'm having lots of puberty!"

I'm hosting knitting tonight. So far it looks like it's going to be a pretty slim group. Several of the girls are out of town, one has a sick baby. That's okay, though, my place isn't very big....

Well, time to go. Happy Monday.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how far of a commute would it be to find a part time job in MN? the minimum wage here is $6.15 as of last summer. at least it's a dollar more an hour...

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home