Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Understandably concerned...

I've been in a spiritual rut for nearly 3 years now, as I eluded to in a previous post. And, I believe I'm out of the rut now. And now I'm concerned.

Some Scripture that's been instrumental to these past couple days is Revelation 3:15-20. Don't be afraid of it because it's Revelation. There's nothing to fear in Christ.

To give a bit of background before I site the passage, John is witnessing Christ confront 7 churches. The one in this passage is Laodicea. It was the wealthiest of the 7 cities mentioned. It had a strong banking industry, wool manufacturing, and even a medical school that manufacured eye cream! But the city had an issue with its water supply. They had built an aqueduct to bring water into the city from surrounding hot springs, but by the time the water got there, it was lukewarm - neither hot for bathing, nor cool for a refreshing drink. Lukewarm water, to most people, is disgusting to drink. To quote the notes from my study Bible: "The church in Laodicea had become lukewarm and thus distasteful and repugnant. The believers didn't take a stand for anything: indifference had led to idleness. By neglecting to do anything for Christ, the church had become hardened and self-satisfied, and it was destroying itself. There is nothing more disgusting than a halfhearted, in-name-only Christian who is self-sufficient." Christ had had something positive to say to the other six churches. He had nothing positive to say to Laodicea.

"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.
I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."

Wow - that is a powerful speech! All I can think of is America when I read it...and myself. I don't want to be spit out of Jesus' mouth. The thing that gives me hope, is that Jesus doesn't say he HAS spit them out of his mouth, but he says "Those whom I love, I rebuke and discipline." He loves this church that's faltering and failing. What are they to do? Be earnest and repent!

I'm concerned. We American Christians (in general) could be described as the Laodiceans. "I know by your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot." What am I doing to advance the Kingdom of God on earth? Am I going out and "making disciples of all nations?" I haven't yet. I think it's time to get serious, people. Who wants to join me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Heather, you do not give yourself enough credit. I think you need to trust the Holy Spirit's sactifying work in your life. He is making you into a new creation. You do not need to make or force yourself to be new--He is the one who is making you new day by day. Continue to die to yourself through HIS strength.
Also, I think it is easy to see the things where we are failing and fail to see the ways in which we are influencing the world, so to that end, may I point out that you: 1) have an influence for Christ on your clients (even if it seems they aren't listening, some day they will "get it", 2) influencing your friend's spiritual lives and encouraging them (I would site your most recent comment on Kiersten's blog), 3) being a good example to society by being faithful to your husband, 4) taking God's word seriously.
Remember John 15--He is the vine and we are the branches. Remain in him. Remaining doesn't consist in fretting and worrying that our "spiritual" work isn't good enough for God. Remaining implies rest, peace, and sustainence from Him--not from ourselves or anything else. Remaining means that His work through us is all that is needed.
Now, I don't mean to say that it isn't good to take God at his word. We need to be mindful and working to fulfill the Great Commission. And of course, obedience is required. But in your case, what I see over and over in your blogs is a restlessness and a spirit of indecisiveness and a lack of TRUST that God IS working in and through your life. I also sense a tendency, when you feel like things aren't "happpening" quickly enough, to move toward more of a faith of works rather than a faith of grace. NOW, not that I am saying that you are all in the works camp. What I am saying is that we all go through periods where we try to make ourselves feel more worthy of God's love and approval. And the thing we fail to realize over and over is that we already have those things from God.
Despite whatever you may be feeling or experiencing, He is changing you and working in and through you. He promised it.
I am offering my observations because I want you to know that you are having an influence for good on the world around you. And I want you to remember to be still and know that He is God.
And plus, if you didn't want comments and insight, why would you even right the dumb blog, right? Anyway, that's how I feel about mine.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home