Mocha Monologues

A delicious blend of dark roasted thoughts, with a hint of sugar and spice.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Well, I'll be damned....

You know, for what I do for a living, I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore, but somehow, I still am. So last night, when I read my friend, Dana's, blog, and she noted a website she had found, I was delightfully surprised, laughed for a few minutes, and had to pass it on. So, have at it.

It's Tuesday today. It's sunny outside this afternoon, after a dreary, ugly morning. Last night was Knitting night. We knit in the park, which was nice, but a little buggy. A couple of us stayed for the movie in the park (Chicken Little) and were surrounded by hoards of kids. My brother-in-law, who works for the Park District said that after an hour of serving free cans of pop and popcorn, they were almost out of pop. They started with 600 cans. So, one can deduce there were approximately 600 people in the park last night! The screen was inflatable, and Craig said it cost somewhere between $10,000-$12,000. It was pretty nice. The only drawback was that before the movie began, they played horrible 70's disco music.........ewwwww.....

I have been a little piggie today. I ate 2 chocolate chip cookies before coming into work at 11:30, and as soon as I got here, I ate my piece of pizza for lunch. But, while I was waiting for my pizza to warm up in the microwave, I ate a handful of chips that were sitting on the kitchen table from yesterday's lunch. Hmmm...I think it's stress...

I was having a phone conversation with my dear friend Dawn, who lives in Waterloo, Iowa now, and she was reflecting on a book she's been reading: John Ortberg's "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat." It's been out for several years, but she said that it helps people realize their God-given gifts, and that to be able to use them effectively, you've got to go out there and risk failure. One must hop on out of that boat, as Peter did when Jesus called to him on the water. It's hard. That's all I have to say.

I went to the chiropractor yesterday and was highly disappointed. The guy I used to see in the Cities was an applied kinesiologist, and he would really work my muscles over hard (like, I was in pain, he dug in so hard) before cracking my back. This guy yesterday barely touched me. I felt like it was a big waste of time. He talked longer than he worked on my back. What a poop head. I think I'll go to my old chiro when I'm in the Cities on Friday, and forget this dude.

I'm supposed to be meeting with someone right now, but they haven't shown up, which I kind of figured was going to happen. It's a pro bono situation, so it's not like I'm out any money, but it's still a waste of my time to come in and sit here. Still pisses me off, to a certain degree, and further cements my frustration with my profession.

Instead of spending $3.50 on a latte today, I went to the gas station and spent $1.17 on a 32 oz. fountain pop. This is my effort to spend less money. However, do you think I can actually drink 32 oz of pop?! Of course not. So, having said that, I could have spent even less money and purchased the smaller cup. Somehow my eyes are always bigger than my stomach. Must have been the self-destructive eating behaviors in which I was engaged this morning!

Gadget of the day: Mango slicer, by Oxo. Available for $11.99, at www.oxo.com. Looks much like an apple corer, but with an oblong , eye-shaped pitter in the middle of the apparatus.

I like that word: apparatus.

Well, I am going to sit here for another 14 minutes, and then I am going to go home to see my hubby. Then I'm going to come back here at 6:00 to see a couple. Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

will there always be a "gadget of the day"? that would make me happy

2:46 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

i'll do what i can...i aim to please...

7:56 PM  
Blogger Kiersten H. said...

yea for gadgets

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home